Running Gear, Thoughts from the Road, Wine and Beer (some other things too...)

Running Gear, Thoughts from the Road, Wine and Beer (some other things too...)

Monday, February 11, 2013

Executive Decision

No, this is not about the move where Steve Segal dies - although I do remember that being somewhat of a coup when it happened :)

The decision I'm talking about really goes back to a thought that I had a couple of weeks ago when I wrote about your body always winning out whether you want it to give out or not (read it here).  When I started training for the full marathon, I knew that above all I would have to listen to my body.  So, even though the training plan calls for cross-training, I just don't feel like I'm getting the desired benefit from it, and frankly, it cuts into my recovery time - which I feel is key.

I ran 48 miles last week - the mileage is only going to increase, and to me, recovery is as important as training.  What's the use of training hard and then not being able to compete at your highest level because you're on the shelf?

I've decided to put the marathon first in mind when it comes to training.  That means no more cross training until after the race.

Second, I'm losing the calorie battle.  I'm not fueling up enough - my BMR for activity (Basic Metabolic Rate) like this is about 2400 calories a day to fuel my body properly.  Friends, that 2400 calories is what I used during my long run this past Saturday.  I like the way my body is transforming, not gonna lie about that. But, it's all fun and games until you almost face plant in a spinning sanctuary during worship :)

My next executive decision is to make sure I'm nourishing mid-run and meal time adequately.

I know that several folks reading this are at different points in their fitness journey, so I leave with this little paraphrase of a Bible verse (it should be in a fitness Bible :) )

What good does it do a person to gain a beachbody, but lose their ability to function?

Keep your perspective, friends - keep working :)

No comments:

Post a Comment