Running Gear, Thoughts from the Road, Wine and Beer (some other things too...)

Running Gear, Thoughts from the Road, Wine and Beer (some other things too...)

Monday, March 4, 2013

Why I run: Expectation

Sunday, March 3, 2013 - I ran my first 20 miler.  Mark it down...

I didn't know what to expect, but I was expecting that endorphin rush, cloud nine sort of experience that keeps a guy heading back outside in the cold of late winter in NW Ohio.

Here are a few things I did know.  First, I knew that it would be very mentally challenging to do the bulk of this run by myself on a point to point run on the single-lane country roads that weave through frozen corn fields.  One's mind does cover a lot of ground in 3 hours' time.  I was fortunate enough to connect with a fellow runner with about 4.5 miles left who gave me the mental boost and pace pick-me-up that pushed out a nice time 3 full minutes under my time goal for the run.

Second, I knew I had nothing to worry about gear/nutrition wise.  I sported a pair of Saucony Virratas (reviewed here), a Camelbak Delaney belt (didn't wear the bottles on the back of the belt), and my CEP calf sleeves.  My trust Garmin 110 would keep me on task too.  I had about 6oz of homemade Gatorade, a gel, and a recovery drink to drink while waiting to be picked up by the rest of my family.

Third, I knew that the last hunk of the run would be the most challenging, and I also knew that those would be the miles that my body would be forced to accept.  My body responded well, it did what I asked it to, and that was great.

That endorphin rush?  Nope - never came.  I guess the good thing is that I know what my body will feel like post-marathon.  It will hurt :)

I hurt in spots I have never felt post-run soreness before.  My shoulders hurt, my triceps hurt and my deltoids were on fire too - it was nuts.  I have to say that it was due in large part to the fact that the last handful of miles were all arms and legs.  I got cold - chilled to the bone - once I stopped.

I did learn something though.

I learned I could do it, and I learned what it would take to meet my goals.  Frankly, I was hoping that the lesson would be more fun.

It wasn't...

Truth is that the lessons that teach us the most, generally aren't the most fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment